Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Daily Decision

I like sleeping in.

Oddly enough, I find myself sleeping better when the sun is out. I've even had periods of time in my life when I was arguably nocturnal, sleeping in until the afternoon. Though I appreciate the mornings, I'm a night owl by nature; I find it difficult to get up a lot of mornings. Every day is a new chance to break that habit, but it takes at least a couple of weeks to solidify sleeping habits. As I look at mornings as a metaphor for my spiritual life, it reminds me that waking up to see God's work and the way He wants me to love is a daily decision. I rarely wake when I'm not obligated to...I never get up just for the sake of seeing the morning. I always feel like I need a reason to wake up - never acknowledging that the morning in itself is enough reason. God's been teaching me that just because my habits are comfortable, that doesn't make them better or even good in the long run. It's worth it to forgo them for what He wants.

This is one of my favorite songs, and I think the lyrics are particularly applicable.

Night/Day
Mae


I’ve been
Dreaming such a long time,
And I’ve been waiting for the sunshine.
But all my friends, they say I’m getting by
With sleeping in.
They say I’m sleeping in.

You know whenever I try, I want to get it right,
But I distract my focus and blur my own sight.
'Cause I’ve convinced myself that my best can only come in the moonlight,
And I keep sleeping in.
I keep on sleeping in,
And missing something...

(Close your eyes before the daylight breaks.)

There are things about me I just can’t ignore.
I know I want to change, and I see that door.
On the other side, daylight decides there will be war with sleeping in.
Oh, I know there’ll be no more sleeping in.

I wait, I wait, I wait
Only in jest.
I wait, I wait, I wait
With no need to rest, I wait.
"The day, the day, the day will come again," I say.
A ray of light can only get in if I say.
I’ve been putting off this purification,
A rebirth and a regeneration inside of me.
And I’ve been saying "no" for far too long,
Even though something brand new is coming out of me.

I’m going to wake up, wake up every morning and then decide.
I’m going to wake up, wake up every morning and make it mine,
Rain or shine.

I wake, I wake, I wake and greet the day;
The light is on, the change is made - I can see my way!
The day, the day, this day has come again!
Each ray of light will make its way into the core of me.
I always knew that I was missing something.
I know this time that I will leave nothing up to chance.
And in the wake of this brand new day,
I see the light and I feel the sun and I’ll do it all again…tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment