Thursday, July 8, 2010

I mayyy or may not be in love.

Okay, not really. I just discovered a new musical interest...but I mean, COME ON. Just look at him. Or better yet, listen to his stuff. :)



Chase Coy, age 19. At first, I was pretty critical of his apparent Drake Bell/Adam Young combo imitation method, but upon investigation, I found that he is
a) distinctive enough, both in sound and personality
b) freaking adorable
c) a HUGE Adam Young fan (and rightfully so)
d) personally invested in both his music and his fans,
e) underground enough not to be obnoxious, and
f)...did i already say adorable?

Granted, 90% of his fans are girls because...well, obvs. But he's no Biebster; he's got real talent, and what I believe to be a recognizable songwriter's soul. Something about the peaceful, wistful nature of his music makes me feel like taking the scenic route, doing things the slow and steady way...taking time to sort out what's really important, what I really want. It feels and sounds like going home - being home, with a familiar type of reflection associated with sitting on one's front porch and looking out at the sunset. His thoughtful melodies make me picture open fields, the sun on a whitewashed railing, dusty shoes by the stairs...calming, homey things. Though very similar to Adam Young in regards to making most of his music out of his parents' basement, he definitely has a uniqueness about him that's pretty intriguing, to me at least.

This is what he has to say about his new album, "Picturesque":

"This record has turned out to be more than I ever expected it to be. After stepping out of my basement, I embarked on a journey that has helped me grow both as a person and as a musician; I have met new friends, seen new places, and been able to pursue a vision for my music that I had only dreamt of in my little basement in Indiana.
The result is something that I hope will both move and inspire you; something that you can find beauty in, and that will give you hope. I hope that it will restore your faith in love if you've lost it, and most of all, I hope that by listening to it you will learn more about yourself and the world around you. These songs are my thoughts and feelings; my memories and my rescue when I need it most. This is the music that helps me make sense of the world when nothing else can, and I only hope that it can do the same for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment