Friday, July 9, 2010

Promises, Promises

Sunday, July 4, 2010 was a great, great day in history. Firstly, it was a national holiday, etc. etc. But the day was just so completely blessed from the very beginning. God showed His hand in so many ways, and I could almost literally feel the Spirit moving in the lives of everyone around me.

At church, I got to see my high school friends freshly returned from their week-long Christian conference, closer to God and each other. I got to witness the baptisms of two good friends of mine - sisters - and that was an amazing privilege. I went to a friend's house for Independence Day celebrations, and learned of another incredible culmination/next step of God's plan for people I really care about, and that was such a blessing. I was so filled with joy that I didn't know what to do with myself!

The weather was one of my favorites: late afternoon, sprinkling lightly every now and then, big epic clouds filling the sky, the sun still determinedly shining brightly through. Perfect rainbow weather, I thought, but there was no way we'd actually see one when we were surrounded by tall trees and houses.

Then the rain faded out, and I saw it: a full rainbow was arching over a clump of trees, right in direct view of everyone in the large backyard. It was bright, it was clear, and perfectly positioned for us. I put my sunglasses on for contrast, and I saw the faint outline of a double rainbow above it, invisible to the naked eye, to anyone not looking for it.

Maybe it's my Christian school upbringing, but I've always seen rainbows as a sign of God's promises (aka Noah's Ark). To see one on this day, after everything else, felt like a kiss from heaven...like God was saying, "Yeah, that was all me. Isn't it beautiful?" "Things can change if you trust me." "Life is beautiful because I make it so." "It's always the clearest and brightest after dark uncertainty." and a bajillion other symbolic, wonderful things that I don't even know yet. The rainbow stayed for a good half an hour, and I sat there and attempted to soak in His overwhelming goodness.

My friend Avery posted this video on my wall as half joke, half admiration for how completely overwhelmed this guy was at the rainbow in front of his house on Yosemitebear Mountain. Honestly, I think it's a universal thing to feel so incredibly awed by the beauty that a rainbow like this brings, no matter who we are. It kinda brings us closer to God whether we want it to or not...whether we recognize it as His signature sign of blessing and promise or as a mere refraction of light.

This guy just can't get over the blessing he's been given right in front of his eyes ("Why me? what does it mean? A full double rainbow in my front yard! To watch...what does it mean??"), and while his response is somewhat repetitive and can seem like an overreaction, I encourage you to watch the whole thing. I think the strength of his reaction makes a great point: beauty like this has the power to move us to tears...and to bring us to our knees with thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment